January 6, 2022

Rebel in the Making - Part 1

Rebel Just for Kicks is a model I've wanted to customize as a performance horse for a while, ever since the Harlee D Zip mold came out (sometimes they have names when they are still a figment of my imagination). 

Of course, he'll need a tucked head to be on the bit for performance. And he'll need pegs to lift those hooves off the table. And I'll probably make some interchangeable manes to give him more options... 


I started by cutting off his neck entirely at the shoulders and just behind the head with a cutting wheel on my dremel, then used a sanding drum to grind down the edges to make the transitions to the new neck easier, as well as removing his forelock. The ears could have come off at this point, but I'll get to them eventually. Many months later (years? I often get stuck in the planning stage...) I got around to reattaching his head to his body with wire (secured with super glue and baking soda on both ends, adding some aluminum foil for bulk, and then reinforcing with magic sculpt epoxy). I took the above picture
and then used photoshop to roughly fill in the neck. 

On the first attempt, I felt the neck was a little too long. You can see I rotated the photo too, to get a
better sense of where his topline would actually be once the pegs are in. 


I bent the wire to shorten his neck a bit and the second attempt is better.
I also propped the model up on the front end in this picture. 

Next step is building up his neck... So I'm back to procrastinating again, lol.

The goal is to have him done and prepped for NaMoPaiMo in February. Will it happen???




1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how much difference just a little tweak or two makes! Good luck and go for it. :)

    ReplyDelete