January 28, 2022

Rebel in the Making - Part 9

 Let the experimenting begin...

The tiny earth magnets arrived this week. They are super strong, so I am hoping they will work through layers of epoxy. Guess we'll see! I planned out where his hunter braids will be and where the magnets will fit by marking in pencil. The book in the back, Braiding Manes and Tails, is a great resource!

I used a 1/8" drill bit to make deep enough holes that the magnet will sit fully inside on his neck. 

I glued the magents in with Super Glue, then smooshed them in with epoxy, which I smoothed out after the photo. Trick is to get them facing the right side out. They are really fiddly, and the glue sticks to everything. Once the epoxy cures, I'll sand them flush with his neck. 

For the tail, I drilled the holes into the rough tailbone I had constructed previously and glued in the magnets. This time I sculpted the hair and braids directly over the magnets. 

I'm debating whether or not I can pull off a mud knot or if it will be too bulky. 


  1. I've spent 2 weeks carving down already-teeny harness bells. At the moment I'm a firm believer that the artist is capable of reducing the size of Anything they start out with!.

    1. Ooh, this sounds intriguing, Sue! I'm sure they will be amazing.