January 16, 2022

Rebel in the Making - Part 7

I started off with a light prime on his head and neck so that I could better see how things are progressing. The more even color makes it easier to see rough transitions, gouges, etc. I stayed light on the primer, more of a "revealing layer," as I don't want to sculpt a lot over primer. It's best to sand it down and apply epoxy straight on the epoxy/plastic for the best long-term adhesion. 

 

I marked some areas in pencil that I wanted to sand down or fill in more. 
I completely popped off the bony eye structure on the right side as it was just too bulky. 

Before I applied any epoxy, I wanted to add his tailbone. I cut a piece of wire hanger to the approximate length and then bent it so it would rest against the top of the horse and come out at the right angle. 


I made sure to drill the hole bigger than the wire so I could work inside for a more secure bond. Working upside down and using soda glue, I secured it on the inside. I then wrapped the hanger wire forming his tailbone with thin aluminum wire tightly. This gives the epoxy something to grab. I then mixed up epoxy and using an old, bent airbrush needle (any tool small enough will work), I pushed epoxy into the hole and firmly against the wire inside the body cavity. Adding epoxy will give even more strength to the tail. 


I then covered the entire wire tailbone in epoxy. The wire came out just a little to the left of center, so I used epoxy to bulk out the right side. This is a thin layer that will serve as a hard base to sculpt detail on later. If you go too thick now, it will look really thick later. 


With the messy application of soda glue behind me, I used lintless paper (the same ones I use
 to clean my glasses) to wipe off as much dust as I could. 
He got several more small tweaks, including enhanced lips, chin and nostrils.


I also realized he had no withers, so remedied that.


Now I'll let him cure overnight. I'm very excited for a day off tomorrow on MLK Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment