March 1, 2021

NaMoPaiMo 2021




This year for NaMoPaiMo I decided to paint my little Amber resin (by David Mayer). She has been sitting unpainted on my shelf for 15 years! And she's little, so I knew there was hope of finishing her in time (unlike my 2019 model, who's still in progress). 

The timing of receiving Dosh and Ducat from my subscription to Maggie Bennett's Monthly Micro Minis was perfect, so they came along for the ride. Squirrel started on our journey, but my plastic glove while sealing messed up his rump, so he got a light sanding and back in primer. February is a short month, after all. 

In the spirit of NaMoPaiMo, I chose a challenge for myself that I felt comfortable tackling. I would paint these 3 using only pan pastels and acrylics in a more limited palette, with the goal of them all being a little different than one another in their final colors. I was not perfect in keeping track, but I wrote down what went on each layer at least in the beginning. I would guess they took 10-12 layers total. 



Layer 1 - base coats

Layer 2 base coats
You can start to see how the Burnt Sienna Tint is more peachy than the foal on the far left,
who did not get any of this color. 

Layer 3
Basecoats getting more saturated.

Layer 4
Start to bring in some darker colors, leaving certain areas lighter. 

Layer 5 or 6 or so

Acrylic washes over pangare areas and blocked in some whites to help visualize.

Several more layers in - Burnt Sienna Shade and Black have been added to the 2 foals on the left. 


More acrylic washes and markings being blocked in. 

The almost finished trio. 
The 2 little fluffers still need some tweaking, but I think my experiment was a success!


Fluffernutter (my official NaMoPaiMo model)

Layer 1 - Yellow Ochre Tint
Layer 2 - Burnt Sienna Tint
Layer 3 - Burnt Sienna Tint
Layer 4 - Burnt Sienna Tint & Burnt Sienna Shade
Layer 5 - Burnt Sienna Shade
Layer 6 - All of the above, plus Burnt Sienna Extra Dark
Later Layers - All of the above, plus Black

Around layer 5 or 6, I did some acrylic washes on her pangare areas. I used a mix of Jo Sonja Opal and Jo Sonja Pale Gold. After the pastel layers were done, I also did some washes which included lots more of the Opal, but mixed with Jo Sonja Brown Earth, Liquitex Burnt Sienna and/or Jo Sonja Skin Tone Base and Liquitex Ivory Black (for the mane and tail). 

Sullivan - the chestnut foal

Layer 1 - Yellow Ochre Tint
Layer 2 - Yellow Ochre Tint & Burnt Sienna Tint
Layer 3 - Yellow Ochre Tint & Burnt Sienna Tint
Layer 4 - Burnt Sienna Shade
Layer 5 - Burnt Sienna Shade
Later Layers - all of the above

Acrylic washes over pangare in Jo Sonja Skin Tone Base and Jo Sonja Unbleached Titanium. The main difference with this one from the other foals is that I didn't use the Burnt Sienna Extra Dark, which kept him lighter and redder than his siblings. 

Gilbert - the dark bay foal

Layer 1 - Yellow Ochre Tint
Layer 2 - Yellow Ochre Tint
Layer 3 - Burnt Sienna Shade
Layer 4 - Burnt Sienna Shade
Layer 5 - Burnt Sienna Shade & Burnt Sienna Extra Dark
Later Layers - all of the above, plus Black

Acrylic washes over pangare of Jo Sonja Unbleached Titanium and Liquitiex Raw Sienna. I also did some acrylic washes using Liquitex Burnt Umber, Jo Sonja Brown Earth and Liquitex Ivory Black (for his points). The biggest difference in his color was the lack of using Burnt Sienna Tint to build up his base, resulting in a little more yellow tone, which I think worked out nicely with his darker bay coat. 

For all of them I used Golden High Flow Titanium White to block in the markings and Jo Sonja Warm White as the final topcoat of white to warm it up and refine the edges a little. I also used the Skin Tone Base mixed with the Warm White to shade the feathers just a touch. For the hooves, I used the Skin Tone Base, sealed with Krylon Matte Spray, drew a few lines with various colored pencils, then did a wash of Skin Tone over the top. That was a little different than I normally do and I like the result enough I'll try it again on larger hooves. 

Fluffernutter
(thanks to my good friend Lynn for her name!)



2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I like the subtlety of the stockings with their pink! (or, flesh tone). Thank you for all the details. Using both acrylics and pastels is a new idea for me, but you show how it could be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all lovely. Reading how you went through the painting process step by step was really interesting and I love how you got so much depth in color.

    ReplyDelete