November 8, 2022

Sunday Stroll - more than a decade in the making...

Sunday Stroll has lived up to his name, taking his sweet time. The name was supposed to imply, as a Thoroughbred from Sunday Silence lineage, that running is as easy as a Sunday stroll. LOL

Valor Resin (Carol Williams) with Replay Resin Head/Neck (Brigitte Eberl)
customized by Danielle Feldman

I shared an in progress picture of him more than 10 years ago, and I have no idea how long before that I worked to get him to that point. When I signed up for Heather Bullach's painting a dapple grey in oils class fall of 2021, she recommended we use a traditional scale model. I have had this guy's color in mind since the beginning, so I figured it was time. After some minor tweaking to the mane and tail, I got him prepped almost in time to start with a painted base layer. 

Streaky is pretty normal for a first layer, but this is way too light


Layer 2 I got a little bolder. 

I was a little nervous to apply newly learned skills to a model where I have a specific image in mind. Maybe that's why I was the slowest one in the class to make progress. 

Painting when I have the energy to focus and enough time to not feel rushed is key for me. I usually regret the results of painting when those don't align for me, so I took the pressure off myself to have set expectations about keeping up with the class.

Layer 2 - Take 2 - Not enough dapple contrast with prior attempt

Layer 3 - starting to detail the body

But Heather does an amazing job of taking the mystery out of oils so that I kind of knew where I was headed with each next step (thank you, Heather!). 

Then the class ended last fall, and he has been waiting on my shelf for almost a year... I'm guessing that last oil layer is probably dry by now, ha ha. Sunday Stroll continues to live up to his name. Maybe I'll finish painting him in the next decade?


No comments:

Post a Comment