March 10, 2012

Cerbero: Creation of NAN Donation 2004


 

  

My first invitation to participate in the NAN Auction was a great experience. I wanted to do something totally unique, and while working on another copy of the Donna Chaney's Rearing Andalusian, it occurred to me that he would be the perfect sculpture to bring to life a fabulous historic portrait. (Note: My studio name used to be Storybook Stable, but it was later changed to Feldman Studio)
 
Inspired by the art of Johann Georg Hamilton, I customized a Donna Chaney rearing Andalusian into a bay tobiano Spanish Colonial Horse performing the capriole, a portrait of the horse "Cerbero".

Scroll down for more pictures of the finished model and to read about the creative journey.
A more in depth article on his creation was published in The Model Horse Magazine, Issue III Winter.
Back issues are available from their site
 
Here is the painting that provides my inspiration for the piece.



And here is the before shot of the resin


 He'll be getting new, smaller ears,
new hooves and fetlocks, new facial sculpting and a new hairdo.
I plan to mount him to some sort of base with a clear acrylic rod.

He has been pinned together at this point and shows how he will be mounted.
The rod I ordered is a little thicker to support this heavy model.



At the work table, sculpting and dremeling started...
Many people have inquired about the reference book pictured,
it is "An Atlas of Animal Anatomy for Artists" by Ellenberger



Most sculpting work is now done. I need to make some final tweaks while
prepping him. Included are some close-up shots of the mane and tail
details, complete with sculpted braids and tassels (wire-supported).









And finally, the finished Cerbero:








I hope you enjoyed this look back at the creation of Cerbero. I will post the following years' creations in the coming weeks, so be sure to stop by again next weekend!


3 comments:

  1. Awesome, love the detail in the mane and tail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you do the sculpted braids and tassels ? This details are awesome ! Had they been done with poliester or other kind of plastic putty ? Thank you for your answer..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jorge, Sorry for the delayed response. Work has kept me busy. I use gapaxio or carbone epoxy (now discontinued) with various tools. I actually cover my technique for sculpting braids on my instructional DVD, The Art of Customizing. You can order here: http://feldmanstudio.com/store

    ReplyDelete