January 15, 2012

State of the Studio

"Jax"
Imp resin sculpture by Sarah Minkiewicz
Collection of the Artist


The time has come to reflect on the future of Feldman Studio as I enter a new phase in my life. I am currently pursuing my CPA and Masters degree and will be joining a large accounting firm this fall to work full-time. While I am excited about this opportunity and what it will mean for my family, I also enjoy being a part of the model horse community as an artist and exhibitor. This is not an end to my involvement in the hobby, or at least I hope not!

~DVDs~
My intention is to continue to offer my series of instructional DVDs, perhaps adding a few more additional titles. Many people have expressed how much they've enjoyed them and learned from them, which makes me so happy. For the foreseeable future, I will have DVDs in stock, and I will be re-stocking those that have currently run out. The prepping and detail painting DVD should be back in stock in 6-8 weeks. You are welcome to pre-order them at this time through the website.  All other titles are in stock and ready to go.

~COMMISSIONS~
Going forward, I will no longer be able to accept any commission work. I just can’t devote the necessary time to paint for others anymore. I love to paint and sculpt and may offer finished pieces for sale, so I hope that you will stay tuned for those opportunities. I am down to finishing the last 3 commissions and look forward to sharing them with you here. Next week, I'll post some in progress shots of them. Their owners have been very patient, it's been about a year since they were started. I am excited to bring them to completion and am thrilled with how they are turning out.

~SCULPTURE~
I do hope to finish sculpting Panache, the floating trot Warmblood, that I started last summer at the AAEA workshop. I will see if there is interest at that time in having him cast in resin. He still has a long way to go. And I have so many other ideas to put into sculpture. We'll see what time allows.

 ~GOING FORWARD~
Really, this is not much of a change from what you've seen come out of the studio lately. I have been in school for awhile now preparing to head down this path. My undergrad degree was in Dance from BYU, so switching to Accounting has been quite the journey. I have not been to a show in almost two years and I think I can count on one hand the number of horses I’ve been able to finish over the past few years. I guess the biggest change is my acceptance of the facts. My time is not what it used to be.

I do hope to stay connected with you, so I have set a goal to make a blog posting every weekend. I love to read your comments and would be happy to post any show successes you've had with models I've painted on the blog, as well as the website. I plan to post how-to's, in progress and finished pieces as they're made, maybe revisit some ideas, share show reports, and more. Just tell me what you would like to see posted and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for reading. I hope you'll stick around!

No comments:

Post a Comment