January 14, 2023

Hill-Stead Museum

The Hill-Stead Museum in Farmington, CT is a hidden gem with priceless treasures by Monet, Degas, Manet, Whistler, Cassatt, and many others. My daughter and I took a tour of the home and the separate gallery today. Here are some of the equines, plus one bonus Monet. 

Jockeys by Edgar Degas, 1886
pastel on paper

Jockeys by Edgar Degas, 1886
reproduction of oil on canvas
the original was sold from the collection

Fell in love with the face on this charming little sculpture. 
Reminded me of Maureen Love's Arabians, but this is likely much earlier. 
I know nothing about it, and this is a terrible photo...

I have always been a huge Monet fan. This one, Oat & Poppy Field, 1890, is on loan from a private collection. We were told that the public would likely never get a chance to see it again, what a treat to see it today! Love the light and the texture and the colors and the depth and the movement and the stillness and everything about it.
 
Collection of Netsuke

This little netsuke was an adorable grouping of animals with a horse centered in the composition.

another view


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, that was wonderful! Also, I have a lot of netsukes,... I used to collect them at the Tucson Gem Show.

    ReplyDelete