February 4, 2022

Rebel in the Making - Part 11

 Lots of figuring it out as I go. I find much of the creative process is problem-solving. Since I haven't made interchangeable manes and tails before, this is taking longer than I hoped!

I started out by covering up his neck and tail with plastic wrap. Then using a tip that Kylee Parks shared in her BreyerFest making manes tutorial from a couple years, I squished SuperSculpey into the crevices of his braids so that the epoxy is sitting a little on top of the braids. Then added another layer of plastic wrap.

Using some fine mesh made for sculpting, I started shaping all the various manes and tails. 

Shaping them over the model. 

Next I mixed up some epoxy.

And squished it into the underside of each form, trying to use as little epoxy as possible. 

Next I wrapped the magnets in fresh epoxy and let them stick into place. 

Then I pushed the mane/tail form into place. 

For his short mane, I was able to keep going and work on the top of the mane. 


Short mane finished and left to cure.


Many more to go...


The others are taking multiple sculpting sessions.


Pleasure Rebel


Reining Rebel

Much as I wanted to get all the manes and tails done before I prep and paint him, I think I'm going to have to switch gears if I have any hope of painting him for NaMoPaiMo. I'm just going to have to be incredibly careful not to get epoxy on him... 

3 comments:

  1. That was absolutely fascinating! And I'd never heard of sculpting mesh. What a cool product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just gotta let the muse win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. I did not know you wanted to paint him for THIS NaMoPaiMo! Good for you! Aim high and catch a star! :)

    ReplyDelete