January 10, 2012

More Dry Pigments for the Palette

The last blog entry featured a rather extensive list of the pastels that I have. There are, of course, other dry pigments out there that can be used in the same manner as pastels and I've begun to add them to my palette as well. Hopefully this will help you take the guess work out of picking new colors to add to your palette.


Earth Pigments

Jaime Baker introduced me to these at Breyerfest one year and I finally got around to getting a small starter set from someone. Sadly, I still haven't had the time to actually try them out. I like the idea that they are non-toxic. So many art products can't say that. The colors in my current palette all look promising, they are:

Light Yellow Ochre
Dark Yellow Ochre
Clay Brown
Natural Sienna
Brown 610
Brown Ochre
Burnt Sienna
Burnt Umber
Titanium White
Black 318



Charcoal

I did include these in my pastel list, but they are actually a different medium than pastel. I use black charcoal interchangeably with black pastel. It covers really well, but it also messier. You can also find white charcoal to use as a mix with other colors. I tend to work from light to dark, so don't often need to mix my dry pigments on a palette. I do like the white charcoal better in pencil form though.


Pearl-ex Powders

These are metallic and interference colors that can be added to your normal dry pigments for a bit of sheen. I have the 32 color set, which includes all the blues, greens, reds, purples, etc. The colors that might best lend themself to equine artistry are:

Interference Gold
Mircro Pearl
Macro Pearl
Pearl White
Sparkle Gold
Sunset Gold
Antique Gold
Super Bronze
Antique Bronze
Antique Silver
Silver
Antique Copper
Sparkle Copper
Super Copper
Red Russett


PanPastels

Another product that I have added to my palette, but haven't yet used much are PanPastels. Granted, these probably should have been included in the pastel list, I overlooked them because they aren't in stick form. Instead they come in a pan, which have the convenience of stacking one on top of another by screwing the bottom of one on top of another. They sell a wide variety of sponge tips for application, which I work for some people. They have a nice consistency and of course, don't require shaving to use. Just rub your bursh, qtip, or sponge over the "pan" to load pigment. I bought a wide selection of these hoping to get all their best equine-amenable colors, thought I might have missed a few. Here they are:

Black 800.5
Titanium White 200.5
Yellow Ochre Tint 270.8 - bright, but mellow yellow
Burnt Sienna Shade 740.3
Burnt Sienna Shade 740.5
Burnt Sienna Shade 740.8 - nice pale shade for bascoats
Red Iron Oxide Shade 380.3
Red Iron Oxide Shade 380.5 - may be too "bright"
Neutral Grey Shade 820.3 - cool grey
Neutral Grey Tint 820.7 - cool grey
Neutral Grey Tint 820.8 - cool grey
Payne's Grey Tint 840.8 - cool grey
Payne's Grey Tint 840.7 - cool grey
Payne's Grey Tint 840.3 - cool grey
Raw Umber 780.5 - too green, skip it unless you're looking for natural grass stains
Raw Umber Tint 780.8 - really light, but use with caution as may cast green tone

No comments:

Post a Comment